#6 Ted Talk

I chose the TED Talk which is Pop culture in the Arab world. Shereen El Feki shows how Arab cultures have borrowed Western popular culture brands - video clips, comics, even Barbie - and adapted them to their own cultures. Hybridized media points to how two civilizations are intertwined rather than divided. I did not know "4Shbab" and "99". The first one is 4shbab which means for youth. People call it Islamic MTV. The goal is to get inspired by Islam and live better lives. The best way to spread to the world is by creating popular videos. They show a kinder gentle face of Islam to deal with life challenges. 99 is a comic book that includes 2 Islamic superheroes. The goal is to rescue Islam from images of intolerance and it is child-friendly. The name came from the 99 names of Allah. The names for example mercy, justice, and wisdom. I can relate to the "99" because I had a religion and ethics class in high school. My professor tried to teach us which is why I am familiar. It is really nice that they include a quote" We made you into nations and tribes so that you can learn from one another."


Stream 4shbab music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on  SoundCloud

Comments

  1. I wish people would follow that quote. It seems like the opposite is happening :-(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts